Friday, June 4, 2010

Writing for Dummies

Friday, June 4, 2010

Writing and journaling is extremely therapeutic. I know this very well. I started writing poetry around 5th grade and I continued doing so until my brief stay in college. I used to love to write not because I wanted to be a writer but because it allowed me to express and divulge my emotions. In moments of extreme sadness writing became essential to me. But after college, after I met the love of my life I completely stopped. I no longer found it necessary. In fact, I threw out every single poem I ever wrote in my entire life. My high school creative writing teacher would kill me! 

I remember putting them in a black garbage bag hoping that my past would be thrown out with them. I wanted a new start. I didn't want all those memories wearing me down. I rather them take my place at a landfill.

6 years ago I allowed myself to accept the good in my life. I allowed myself to be happy by removing all of the negative people and things that surrounded me. Now that I've cleansed myself of all of that I think it's fair to say that maybe I should write again. I want to leave something behind for my future children. I want to leave something behind for myself. 

Unfortunately it's been so long since I've written something that it doesn't come as easily as it used to. Sadness is very powerful inspiration. I can't find any inspiration in my current state. 

I'm going to try to do this in baby steps. 

When I was in high school I used to read one book each week. I think that really helped and it probably sparked something. I haven't read anything in so long. I've bombarded my brain with images and sounds. So this weekend, I'll be heading to the library. I have no clue what to pick out. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Mani on a Budget said...

Your dilemma sounds soooo familiar. I always found it a little strange (and scary) that my inspiration came from being absolutely lost.

Try Anne McCaffrey's "Crystal Singer" series if you can find it. These books are all over the place -- sci-fi, fantasy, romance, inner philosophical turmoil... I wrote for about a month straight after reading them. Some movies and even songs (Blind Guardian's "Sacred") are inspiring too.

Turtle Bead said...

Don't find it scary! lol Trust me, a lot of people out there are like that and in my opinion, most of the best things in life come from our struggles.

I'm heading to the library tomorrow so I'll check "Crystal Singer" out! Thank you so much for recommending her books. :D I'll also check out that song ;).

Have a great weekend!

Liz said...

Good luck with the writing, im sure you'll be fine, I wish I put more time aside as you are doing to read and write more, I bury myself in my crafts too much perhaps.

Casey said...

Aww I used to write in my journal almost every single night before I went to bed - all through high school! Granted, most of these entries were about boys but I love reading back on them now!

When I met my boyfriend, I also stopped writing and I wish I hadn't. I wish I could read back on all those 'firsts' because some are very easy to forget.

I think I might start writing in my journal again =) Thanks "Turtle Bead"!!

Anika said...

Try getting inspired by the ACoLab! It may be the perfect venue to spark something without a lot of pressure!! (acolab.blogspot)
I also feel like just practicing like you do with the blog is a great way to get back into writing. Don't you agree?

Post a Comment

No spam please.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails